Saul Larner, Ph.D.,LL.M., MBA
Click here to email
Click for Full Website
1999 Avenue of the Stars
Description of Practice
SP Larner has long been known for its complex case designs in the ultra high net worth, international markets. Our specialties have been in real estate, family law and large mediations which include advanced and complex csse designs.
One of our strong tools in mediation and arbitration is that we have the nuance and connections to orchestrate the procedures for our clients to bring money into the United States legally. We coined the term, "Settlement is an Art" which summarizes what we stand for. A mediator can build on concrete or quick sand and we choose the former.
First, we ascertain if there are any relationships which the client wishes to save. Often, the parties wish to reconcile, but haven't the skills to know where to begin.
We formulate a game plan which "paints a picture" with the potentially most likely outcome. We often prepare a "decision tree" which shows all of the possible outcomes which leaves little room for emotion to overrule logic.
Financial reverses are paralleled with divorce and conflicts with creditors. We have a sharp focus to positively resolve the issues so both parties can move forward with their lives. In addition, we have innovative methods for the dividing of assets among those in a marital dispute in creative ways to cope with cash flow issues which have materialized.
SR. MEDIATOR CERTIFICATION: Mediate.com
CERTIFICATION: National Association of Certified Mediators
CHAPTER PRESIDENT: Divorce Alliance, (Institute of Divorce Financial
CERTIFICATE IN ALTERNATE DISPUTE RESOLUTION. California State University--Monterey Bay, California
MEMBER: Southern California Mediation Association
IN 2004, MetLife acquired my financing planning practice as I had mechanisms in place with FINRA as a registered investment advisor.
The purchasers of the townhouse/condo/co-ops were frequently a divorced person who needed mediation services to bring their divorce to a conclusion so they could start their lives over.
With the mechanisms I engineered,the court extended the automatic stay for over a year to mediate with creditors and mastermind a sales aproach to successfully market the properties.
I cultivated my background in offshore asset protection trusts even before the offshore havens offered tax advantages. When the estate tax exemption was only $1,000,000, one had to use the offshore mechanisms and have their final documents approved by one of the larger CPA firms if a transaction was viable. Having these tools available were very useful in finding solutions on the mediation platforms.
Through international banking connections, I was able to devise mechanisms to bring money into the U.S. legally to purchase real estate
Specializing in divorce related issues.
1. Mediated a landmark case whereby the couple in divorce settled everything but the beanie baby flipped a coin, and each one took one of their choice and continued until they were distributed. They walked away very happy. Both spouses were prepared to spend unlimited funds in litigation.
2. Divorce situation where the sale-leaseback-right of repurchase addition qualified for a financing device rather than a sale and created capital structures enabling a smooth divorce.
3. Mediating divorces where our "settlement is an art" mindset enabled settlements to take place without excessive litigation fees;
4. Intellectual property disputes including a patent scam/Amazon dispute where an injunction would have been the next step and with anticipated succeess.
5. Lender-borrower real estate issues where the banks have started foreclosure.
4. Negotiated in bankruptcy situations for additional stays and settlement of monies owed and other terms.
6. Issues with Chinese Manufacturers who have shipped inferior merchandise or violated patent rights.
8. Construction and renovation issues between contractors and homeowners.
9. Release of security deposits on luxury condos when high net worth tenants left the premises according to the terms of the lease and on a Malibu estate with a $50,000 security deposit.
10. Release of escrow deposits when a seller cannot perform and will not sign off with the escrow company.
13. Mortgage mediation, for $28 million, where the loan agreements were fatally defective.
Bachelor of Art (BA) Humanities. Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, Florida
Master of Science in Management, (MBA). real estate finance major. Passed SREA 101 and 102 Residential and Commercial Real Estate Appraisal Exams. Integrated education appertaining to the foreign real estate investor. Florida International University, Miami, Florida
Doctorate of Business Administration (Ph.D.) Modules included international economics, human resources management, securities markets and statistics. Nova Southeastern University, Boca Raton, FL.
Master of Laws in International Taxation. (LL.M.) modules included international taxation, ecommerce, estate planning, international laws, tax treaties and international capital structures. St. Thomas University Graduate School of Law. Miami Gardens, FL.
REAL ESTATE COURSES:
CIPS - Certified International Property Specialist.
CRS - Certified Residential Specialist
SRES - Senior Real Estate Specialist
ABR - Accredited Buyer Representative
AARE - Accredited Auctioneer Real Estate (less than 5% of licensees have this designation)
CALIFORNIA AND FLORIDA REAL ESTATE LICENSE TRAINING
CAlIFORNIA AND FLORIDA MORTGAGE EXAM PREPARATION CLASSES
NASD/FINRA SERIES 3,7,15,63 AND 65 SECURITY LICENSE EXAMS
VARIOUS COURSES IN MEDIATION
LIFE UNDERWRITER TRAINING COUNCIL (LUTCF)
VARIOUS COURSES IN REAL ESTATE, INSURANCE AND SECURITIES MARKETS
||Certificate in Divorce Mediation, Mediate.com
||- 40 hours
||Certificate in Alternative Dispute Resolution (New Dimensions). California State University,
Monterey Bay, CA.
|- 40 hours
||St. Thomas Grad. School of law LL.M.Program
Ecommerce negotiation (20)
International taxation (20)
International Estate Planning (20)
|- 60 hours
||Nova Southeastern U. Human Resources Mgmt.
||- 30 hours
||Florida International University Appraisal Mediation
||- 20 hours
The approach we use has been around for hundreds of years. The founder of my approach was William Shakespeare as he so indicates in King Henry 1V, Part 2, Scene 3.
“We first survey the plot, then draw the model;
And when see the figure of the house,
Then we must rate the cost of erection;
Which if we find outweighs ability,
What do we then but draw anew the model”
William Shakespeare, King Henry 1V, Act 1, Scene 3
Fees are the last issue I consider. The correct answer is, "It all depends". My fees are $3,500 a day and down. Fees vary as to the complexity of the case and ultimately if we can save the client substantial hours of billable time through the use of collaborative mediation.
I will discuss fees only after I understand the case and decide if the client is better off with us than without us. We have methods to lower the billable hours. We provide workbooks, use advanced technological software, guide the client to collaborative mediation in areas where appropriate and can reduce fees substantially.
Billing commences only when the client is fully aware and to the hourly fees. We will not accept the case until we have had sufficient dialogue.
In most instances, I have most of the research done so there is a cost savings there. If I feel that it is taking too long for me to perform a certain function, such as constructing a fact finder, I will stop the clock at that point but continue my efforts and research at no cost.
Usually, the costs of mediation and expenses are shared equally between the parties.
We explain to the clients in full detail our approach to the matter and our educated guess as to how much the final bill would probably be.
We pride ourselves that our approaches are usually penetrating and effective, so the bottom line cost for the mediation is more than reasonable.
PRESENT AND PAST, PROFESSIONAL AND SOCIAL GROUPS
FOR MEDIATION DESIGNATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS--SEE ABOVE
- Appointed Auctioneer $50 million Robert Taylor Ranch
- International Bar Association member
- 32nd Degree Masonic and Scottish Rite Lodges
- Eagle Scout Alumni and creator of financial planning programs
- Delta Theta Phi International Law Fraternity
- National Forensic League, National Debating Champion (high school (Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity, Prytanis, Spearheaded alumni association)
- Los Angeles Athletic Club, Past Board Member
- Provisors, invitation only, professional business networking group.
- Chinese American Real Estate Professional Association, Board of Directors
- International Business Council, Board of Directors (7,000+ members)
- California Association of Realtors, Realtor and International Panel Speaker.
- Offshore Institute, International symposium planning committee.
- American College of Forensic Examiners.
- Rotary International.
- Boca Raton Museum of the Arts, Certified Docent
- Los Angeles Petanque Club. Board of Directors.
- Les Amis de la Petanque International, Founding Director
- Various other legal, medition, professional and social organizations.
- Royal Society of Fellows—International Taxation honor society.
- Past President National Alumni Association
LITERARY WORKS PUBLISHED BY:
- Fawcett World Library
- Prosperity Publishers
Areas of Practice
- Civil (general)
- Divorce (all issues)
- Estate Planning
- Landlord - Tenant
- Marital Mediation
- Personal Injury
- Real Estate
- Parenting Coordinator
- Advanced Mediation Trainer
- Online Arbitrator
- Estate Planner
- Mediation Consultant
- Mediation Trainer
- Strategic Planning
- Collaborative Professional
- Online Mediator
References available upon request.
This dispute resolution professional keeps liability insurance.